Welcome to Endless Iterations.

A place where one writer can chronicle the process of turning an idea into a story--through endless iterations....

Friday, May 18, 2012

Ratings:

What, exactly, constitutes a five star review? How do you tell the difference between a three star and a two star book? What in god’s name do you have to do to earn one measly star?

I don’t know about everyone else, but I like what I like. I’m not editing or breaking down every book I read—I’m enjoying it. I try to read a book for what it is; I try to adopt the mindset of the audience before I read something, so that I’m not comparing adult horror with young adult fantasy. If I like it, I rate it highly; if I don’t like it, I rate it poorly.

Without further ado, here are my criteria for ratings….

5-Star: 
Must Read Again!
“Oh my god, this shit is brilliant! I’m going out and getting this author’s next book and shoving everything else to the side until I’ve gotten so fat and bloated on their work that I just can’t eat any more!”

4-Star: 
Will Read Again.
“I really liked this book. I’m going to shell out cash for more of this author’s work and put it into my queue.”

3-Star:  
Might Read Again.
“It was okay. I may or may not pick up something else this author wrote. Depends on my mood.”

2-Star: 
Won’t Read Again.
“I didn’t like this book. I’m kind of sorry I read it. Someone is going to have to seriously pitch another book by this author for me to give them another shot.”

1-Star:
Will Warn Others.
“This book was so bad that I can’t, in good conscience, allow others to waste their time on. This person was the literary version of the Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, without the cult appeal. ‘DANGER, WILL ROBINSON! DANGER!’”

How do you determine YOUR ratings?

No comments:

Post a Comment