Welcome to Endless Iterations.

A place where one writer can chronicle the process of turning an idea into a story--through endless iterations....

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Book Review: Lunara: Seth and Chloe, by Wyatt Davenport

Four Stars

When I was growing up, I’d read whatever I could get my hands on, but I had a particular affinity for sci-fi and fantasy. I guess I never managed to grow up. And that’s exactly the feeling I got from reading Lunara: Seth and Chloe, by Wyatt Davenport.

Just about everything in this book is well done, from the characters to the plot. The world is well fleshed out, and the author has put a lot of thought and effort into creating Lunara’s setting. His descriptions are very vivid, and he keeps the pace of the plot at a good speed.

Where his story really shines, though, is in the main characters. Seth and Chloe stole the show, and their dynamic drove the emotional impact of the story. I was left with a strong sense of who the main characters were. More importantly, I was left with the desire to know what happens next.

One thing that I LOVED about the story is that it kept the focus on the human elements. The action was good, but it wasn’t an “action” novel. The sci-fi details take a back seat to the story, which is one about people. And Mr Davenport crafts a story full of human dynamics, a real “space opera” with plenty of politics, love stories, and enough tense, interpersonal moments to keep it kicking along at a quick pace.

The book isn’t perfect. I think the editing could have been a little tighter, as sometimes the dialogue seems a bit on the formal side. There were also a couple of scenes where it stretched my suspension of disbelief, where the circumstances were a bit too contrived for the sake of drama. But all in all, as a young adult sci-fi story, Lunara: Seth and Chloe delivers. I don’t have any hesitation recommending it to someone who is a fan of the young adult or sci-fi genres.

And, most telling of all, after reading the free book I went out and bought the next two. I really, REALLY want to find out what happens next!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great review. The feeling you got was exactly what I was going for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I really enjoyed reading it! I think that the best thing authors can do when they read something they like is to tell other people about it--how else can we expect to be successful in reaching our audience?

    Thanks for stopping by, Wyatt!

    ReplyDelete