I have set myself deadlines for publishing Thelorin's Bones. I started yesterday, with two weeks to write an outline. Then I'm giving myself a week to write each of sixteen chapters (give or take). After that, I'll spend four weeks doing edits, which will put me ready to publish on July 29th, five months after I started the process. That's my goal--two a year.
I jumped the gun a bit, and in a fit of excitement and inspiration I started writing the first chapter. I know, I know--I hadn't even outlined it--but I had an idea of a scene, so I wrote it down. Got half way through the chapter before my schedule even started.
Then, between yesterday and today, I managed to crank out the entire outline. Thank god for drive time at work! Now I have a direction and a focus. Not sure if the story will end up following the outline, but it's a good start!
So here I am, two days into my "schedule," and I have the outline and half of a chapter done. I'm about two weeks and change ahead of schedule, and I've only been at it for a few days. If things keep up like this, I'll be ready to publish early! And that would be awesome!
Let's see how it goes....